The field of interior design concerns a ground-up approach in new space construction, and shouldn’t be confused with the closely related process of interior decorating, which applies to renovating and accessorizing a pre-built space. High-end custom wood panels are an important element of both creative processes, but in this article, we’ll be focusing on ground-up elements of interior design applications.
7 Elements of Interior Design
Outstanding interior designs are those which focus on the seven basic elements. These are:
- Space– Shape, size, windows, floor area and height all come into play in the space element. When the room is complete the goal here is to achieve a balance between the positive and negative areas in the space. Positive areas contain objects and furniture. Negative areas are empty. Careful selection of wall paneling can balance the negative areas so the space doesn’t appear too busy or too empty.
- Light- 4 types of lighting comprise this design element. Natural light is controlled by strategically placed windows and doors. The other three are; task lighting such as a desk lamp, ambient lighting (the general light source of the space) and accent lighting to highlight particular features of the space and focal points such as artwork. Panel colors and surface finish variations, such as high gloss or matte, can enhance accent lighting where required and make the most of available natural light.
- Texture- Rough textures create coziness, while high-gloss shiny textures augment a more formal or grandiose atmosphere. Cozy, formal, or anything in between, we have textured panels to suit any motif.
- Pattern– This element should be used in conjunction with color to highlight or provide contrast. Natural grain panels alone can frequently satisfy all of the required design elements of texture, pattern, and color.
- Color– Color has an emotional value in interior design. Generally red is energetic, blue creates a productive mood, green is used for peace and calm, and brown for safe and secure. Color can change the atmosphere of the room dramatically, making it the essential element of any interior design. This is one of the reasons we stock such a wide selection of color panels at Plywood Express.
- Line– Horizontal lines, such as tables, cabinets, and countertops, tend to add stability. Vertical lines from doors, windows, and wall panels add a sense of freedom and nature. Dynamic lines, such as those of a staircase add interest and energy to the room. Wall panels and lapboards are a great way to add that energy in a space otherwise lacking natural dynamic lines.
- Form- This element is concerned with shape, space, and objects in the room. Similar forms can bring harmony, but too many different forms can clash resulting in an unbalanced effect. Using the ground up design approach wall panels, cabinetry and edging can all be matched and coordinated for a unified theme to achieve that harmony of design.
Contact us for the custom interior panels you need for the 7 elements of your interior design.